Friday, September 18, 2015

Sew a 1920s Wardrobe in a Weekend Using Ruth's Home Sewing Tips from the 1920s

So sorry that I disappeared for the summer! What can I say? Life took over and left little energy for my blog. Life hasn't slowed down any, but items keep popping up and I just have to get back in the groove. Besides, I have missed you all!

So I resume my blog with this shout-out for Costume Academy! They are hosting a "1920s Wardrobe in a Weekend" retreat this weekend! What a fantastic idea, I only wish I could attend. Wouldn't it be fun to sew a one-hour day dress, an evening dress, and an accessory, all from the 1920s, and all in one weekend? Be sure to check out their website, and all their period costume events. They are surely a place to put on your "must-visit" list! I love too, that they have events for other fashion periods as well. Something for everyone. :)

In honor of Costume Academy's event, here is a post from our beloved Ruth Wyeth Spears and another tip for home sewing from the 1920s. Use this tip to inspire you to "jazz up" your 1920s frock with lace!



On the subject of Ruth Wyeth Spears, I was contacted by one of the organizers (Nicole Carlson) of this weekend's event at Costume Academy, asking to know more about her. While I do not consider myself an expert on Ruth, I shared what little I do know. 

Ruth learned her craft first by serving an apprenticeship in a dressmaking shop, and then went on to art school (with her goal being a career in fashion). In 1921 she launched her career in fashion through illustrating sewing directions and the processes of sewing. Ruth's fabulous syndicated series began to appear on the women's pages of small and large newspapers throughout the US in 1925. I do not know the year that her series ceased publication, but I think she continued publication through the 1930s at the least. Ruth created the topics based on questions from her readers. Her illustrations were so popular that they were widely copied in books, booklets, classrooms, and patterns.

Hats off to the successful career of Ruth Wyeth Spears - inspiring fashion in her readers all the way to the present!

13 comments:

  1. Glad to have you back!
    I think that your regular Ruth Wyeth Spears posts have pretty much single-handedly inspired my love of 1920s fashion....
    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always appreciative of you sharing these little peeks from Ruth's instructions from the past. The illustrations are so delightful, and this one is no exception.

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Brigid! I appreciate your support, and love to support you and your lovely sisters!

      Delete
  3. Oh, she makes it sound so simple but I'd be terrified of doing that on chiffon and getting it wrong. I love the description of the colours, natural deep cream called blond and a deep strawberry tone, much better than saying beige and red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though she was printed in black and white, I I love that Ruth always refers to the colors of the fabric! :) And yes, she makes it sound so easy. :) She loved to encourage her audience of home sewists.

      Delete
  4. Just found this site. So very glad I did! Settling in for a good browse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray! You're back. I'd been missing your posts this Summer - especially these 20's sewing tips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is wonderful and oh my goodness I am in love with all these fabulous sewing tips!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I have many more sewing tips from Ruth Wyeth Spears to post, so keep watching. :)

      Delete