Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Home Sewing Tips from the 1920s: Teen's Petal-Skirted Party Dress

If you need a 1920s-style party frock for a teen girl, this tip from Ruth Wyeth Spears describes how to whip up a lovely petal-skirted dress.  Just get a few yards of crepe de chine in a lovely color and in no time you can have your girl looking chic for a summer party! The simplicity of the design amazes me - Ruth's techniques require no pattern and allow you to fit the dress to wearer. Don't be held back by the idea that this is a young girl's dress - I think it would work for any age!


As an interesting aside, girls remained girls much longer in the 1920s. Note how Ruth Wyeth Spears refers to "young girl" and "young daughter" in this sewing tip, but defines that as 16 to 18 years! Of course, back then sizes were defined in "years" as well. :)

6 comments:

  1. Kathleen, this is a wonderful post, love these patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen, this is a wonderful post, love these patterns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am delighted that you are delighted, Debora!

      Delete
  3. Hi Kathleen! I've nominated you for the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award! Head over to my blog to learn more about the award and congratulations! http://pourlavictoire.blogspot.com/2015/09/sisterhood-of-world-bloggers-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Gabriela! I am honored! I will check out the to-do list for this award and get on it. Sorry for my delayed response. :)

      Delete
  4. Hi,thank you so much as I love vintage dresses.

    ReplyDelete