Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Miss Lillian's Postcards - Vintage Tweets from 1908: Miss Lillian is in Seattle!

Postcard 024

Sender: Elsie
Addressee: Miss Lillian Maguire, 1902G Terry Av., Seattle, Wash.
Postmark: East St Louis, Ill.
Date: April 27, 1908
Image: First Presbyterian Church, East St. Louis, Ill.
Message: 
Dear Lillian,
By the time this
reaches you, you 
will be with the
Kidders. I hope you
arrived safely &
enjoyed your trip.
Be sure to write soon.
I rec'd your postal
from St. Paul.
Love, Elsie


This postcard features a lovely church in East St Louis that was probably newly built or relatively newly built. Whether the building still stands, I do not know. East St Louis, Illinois is located across the Mississippi River from St Louis,Missouri.


What is exciting about this postcard is the fact that Miss Lillian has traveled to Seattle, Washington, where her sister and brother-in-law live (Anne and Adolph Mueller). She is staying with the Kidder family, about whom we know nothing. Are they family? Are they friends? And how long is Miss Lillian staying? Why is she not staying with her sister? So many questions!

According to this postcard from Elsie, Miss Lillian traveled through St Paul, Minnesota on her way to Seattle. I believe the only Amtrak passenger train between Seattle and Chicago still goes through St Paul. I have taken that train ride, but I suspect that it took me much less time than it took Miss Lillian in 1908.  I look forward to learning more about this adventure!

1907 Fashion


No comments:

Post a Comment