Thursday, March 13, 2014

Home Sewing Tips from the 1920s - Sew a Graceful Flapper Negligee

Simplicity was a hallmark of the Flapper era, and yet simplicity did not imply lack of graceful style. In this wonderful tip from Ruth Wyeth Spears, sewing expert and writer for the seamstresses of the 1920s, she describes how to sew a negligee that both saves fabric and time!


Note that the construction calls for seams from under the arm to the hemline, with small openings at drop-waist for a ribbon tie belt. What could be simpler? Select a soft material, in a harmonizing color - oh, happy thought! :) Love those little slippers with fur trim. But why is she wearing a necklace, earrings, and bracelets? If you sew this negligee, let me know!

5 comments:

  1. I'm thinking of making it into a dress using needlecord and a pretty ribbon :~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds wonderful, Lucy! I'd love to see a picture when its done. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Kathleen, if I can persuade my computer to talk to my phone I'll
    upload pic when done :~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this! I made this recently and it turned out great! So easy!

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  4. Single duvet covers work a treat for this.
    Look really pretty and save a lot of side hemming.

    ReplyDelete