Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Ever Popular Wrap Skirt - 1960s Style

In 1962 and 1963, the most popular version of the wrap-around skirt had flared style and quarter-hip-style patch pockets.

Each pattern company cashed in on this popular style. The skirt is fully faced or lined (with a great contrast fabric), with no waistband, those distinctive patch pockets (long enough to serve as belt carriers), and skinny tie belts. Here you can see how the major pattern companies issued their own version for women (Simplicity, Butterick, and McCall's).




And don't forget the younger set! Here is a girl's version - looking just as cute as mom's. :)



7 comments:

  1. I JUST made one of these, from a 1964 pattern- and I wore it today :)
    Mine was not fully lined, but it was a fun make :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I bet you looked cute in it too! Was it as fun to wear as it was to make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was fun :) You have to be careful because misplacing fastenings can lead to embarassing gapes at the back ;) But It was very comfortable, the pockets were nice and it looked cute too :)
      I chose a poly-cotton blend, bottom-weight twill, which made it stand out nicely, so it kept the a-line shape.
      Now if only my son's photos of me had come out OK LOL

      Delete
  3. That is good to know about the fastenings. And that your fabric choice was perfect. :) If you get a good photo, do share - I'd love to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will do :) I have to wash it anyway, still has my tailor marks on it, so I will wash it and get my HUSBAND to do the pictures LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finally managed to get some decent pictures... so here you go :)
    http://jacobiterose.blogspot.com/2013/02/simplicity-5385.html

    ReplyDelete