Tuesday, December 16, 2014

1960s Dresses from "Young Designer" Jean Muir

Hello, all! I hope you are holding up during this holiday season. For some reason I have more than my normal quantity of dinners and outings, all in addition to my day job. The days are flying by so quickly, it is hard to believe we are just a little over a week away from Christmas!

Today I travel back to the autumn of 1967. These fab little A-line dresses from Jean Muir and Butterick were hot fashion then. I love how the pill box hat (very early to mid 60s) and the head scarf or "babushka" (as a fashion statement, a popular thing from late 60s into the 70s) appear here. One on its way out, the other on its way in.

I love the monochrome quality of the outfit on the right. The dress is marvelous, with its shallow funnel collar, notched wing cuffs, and a row of accent buttons that add focus and a pop of texture. I think Ruth Wyeth Spears from the 1920s would approve both dresses, with their simplicity of style and just a small number of accents of the right type. :)



4 comments:

  1. Even though I typically don't like 1960's fashions, both of these pieces are rather nice. I particularly like the one on the right. Those small buttons add just the right touch!

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Brigid! It has more personality, I think. :)

      Delete
  2. I really like both of these. I am drawn to the one on the right but the one on the left would suit me better. Love the sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sleeves on the left, too, Kate-Em. So romantic!

      Delete