Thursday, May 16, 2013

Before and After Hit Parade: 1970s Bride - It's Me!

Seamstress: Me!
Pattern: McCall's 2701 from 1970

In the early 1970s, there were strong folk and country influences in fashion and the wedding gown featured in McCall's 2701 from 1970 is a great example.


The Results: I liked it so well, I chose it for my wedding in June 1971! :D Don't I look young? I was 21, honest!



I chose view A, with the lace-trimmed stand collar and lace-trimmed cuffs on the long bishop sleeves. I sewed a self-fabric tie belt that I tied in front at empire waistline. I chose to trim the center bodice front with lace ruffles as well.


As you can see, I followed view A pretty closely. White dotted swiss was my choice for the fabric, and the veil was my "something borrowed" from a best friend. Can you guess how much I spent on fabric and notions for this wedding gown? $6.00!! Amazing.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, simply amazing! Love it that you sewed your own wedding gown :D Something I wish to do if I am ever blessed to be wed in the future :)

    -Charlotte
    boyerfamilysingers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the lucky day comes for you, I look forward to seeing what gown you sew for your wedding! There are so many wonderful choices. :) Mine was relatively easy to sew, as many dresses were in that era.

    ReplyDelete